In 2013, the Code of Banking Practice was updated to include a range of new clauses, including clause 8, which addresses the needs of customers living in remote Indigenous communities.
If you are a member of a remote Indigenous community, banks subscribing to the Code must take reasonable steps to:
- Ensure you have access to information about relevant banking services.
- At your request, provide you with details of accounts that may be suitable to your This may include details of accounts that attract no or low standard fees and charges.
- Help you meet identification requirements (related to banks’ obligations under the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006).
- Appropriately train staff who regularly deal with you in a remote location to be culturally aware.
- Consider government programs, such as income management programs, that may be relevant in providing banking services to you.
Report a concern
Concerned a bank has breached its code obligations in providing services to you? Report your concern with the CCMC.